Artifact of the Week: Shoe last from Humberstone Shoe Company
Shoe last from the Humberstone Shoe Company.
Welcome to the Artifact of the Week from the Port Colborne Historical and Marine Museum. This week’s artifact features a show last from the Humberstone Shoe Company donated by Audrey Kerr.
Humberstone Shoe Factory
The Humberstone Shoe Factory had its beginning in a small shop owned by C.C. Knoll on Main Street about 1900 where sandals were being made by five employees. By 1917, the Humberstone Shoe Company Limited was rapidly expanding production. Over the years, company president H.H. Knoll oversaw the construction of several new factory buildings.
Quote from the Apr. 28/1934 edition of the Welland Tribune: “Today the company has 400 employees and produces 50 different models of shoes for men, women, and children.”