Lake St. shooting investigation leads to arrests
The report made to police on March 13, 2017 indicated that four unknown males entered a home on Lake Street, St. Catharines, in what was initially described as a robbery with a firearm.
The ensuing investigation revealed that the victim was threatened and confined in the residence by a male roommate, with the assistance of two females. All three suspects left the residence prior to police arrival.
The victim suffered a non-life threatening gunshot wound to her lower leg and was transported to hospital.
On March 15, 2017 Detectives from the 1 District Detective Office, Street Crime Unit and Special Investigative Services affected arrests of 22-year-old Britanny York and 38-year-old Sandra Haslett, both of St. Catharines.
On the same date, with the assistance of the Emergency Task Unit and the Forensic Services Unit, investigators executed search warrants at two St. Catharines locations, including the residence on Lake Street, where the firearm was discharged.
On March 16, 2017 Detectives arrested 36-year-old Dalshan Bains of St. Catharines.
The three face the following list of charges:
Bains, York and Haslett are jointly charged with:
- Forcible Confinement contrary to the Criminal Code, Section 279(2)
- Extortion with a Firearm contrary to the Criminal Code, Section 346(1.1)(a)
York and Haslett are jointly charged with:
- Accessory After the Fact contrary to the Criminal Code, Section 463(a)
Bains is further charged with:
- Discharging a Firearm with Intent to Endanger Life contrary to the Criminal Code, Section 244(b)
- Aggravated Assault contrary to the Criminal Code, Section 268
- Pointing a Firearm contrary to the Criminal Code, Section 87(1)
- Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm contrary to the Criminal Code, Section 92(1)
- Possession of a Restricted Firearm with Ammunition contrary to the Criminal Code, Section 95(1)(a)
- Possession of a Weapon for a Dangerous Purpose contrary to the Criminal Code, Section 88
York and Haslett appeared before a Justice of the Peace at the St. Catharines Bail Court on March 16, 2017. Bains is scheduled to appear in St. Catharines Bail Court on March 17, 2017.
Investigators are not looking for any additional suspects in connection with this investigation.
The investigation continues and anyone with information regarding this incident is asked to contact the Niagara Regional Police Service 1 District Detective Office at (905) 688-4111.
Source – Niagara Regional Police press release