Wood stove suspected cause in Welland garage fire

Firefighters battled an early morning garage fire on St. George St. in Welland Saturday Dec. 30/2017. The fire caused about $50,000 in damage. No one was injured in the fire. Welland Fire and Emergency Department photo

An unattended wood stove may have been the cause of an early morning garage fire in Welland Saturday Dec. 30/2017.

A passing neighbour discovered the fire at the St. George St. residence. The neighbour called 911 then alerted the occupants of the home to the fire. There were no injuires.

When firefighters arrived they found the detached two car garage heavily involved in fire.

“No one was in the garage and the occupants of the home were safely outside when firefighters arrived,” said Welland Fire and Emergency Services Deputy Chief Adam Eckhart in a media release.

According to the Deputy Chief, five fire trucks with 25 firefighters worked in -18 °C weather to control the fire. They stopped it from spreading to the neighbouring shed and fences. Damage is estimated at $50, 0000.

The fire crews were on scene about four hours.

“The fire appears to have begun in an area around a wood-stove, inside, at the rear of the garage,” said Deputy Chief Eckhart. “The wood-stove was unsupervised at the time of the fire.
The cause of the fire is not-suspicious.”

“The Fire Department strongly encourages people to inspect and maintain their wood burning appliances regularly and not to leave wood burning appliances unattended while in use. Only clean firewood or appropriate wood pellet/fuel for your specific appliance should be used. Refer to the manufacturer’s instructions for care, maintenance and approved fuels,” he said.

Cision News Wire

 


 

Help Erie Media stay online with a voluntary subscription


Subscription Options