Appliance cord cause of Wainfleet house fire

An overheated appliance cord has been identified as the source sparking a $200,000 house fire in Wainfleet Wednesday. Photo by Joseph Burd

An overheated electrical appliance cord from a freezer in the basement has been identified as the source of a house fire in Wainfleet Wednesday Feb. 14/2018.

The residence is located at 11645 Highway 3 in Wainfleet. It was estimated that the fire caused approximately $200,000 in damage.

“The call came in at 8:15 a.m. as smoke coming from the building,” Wainfleet Fire and Emergency Services Chief Lee Smith said. “Upon arrival crews found smoke coming from the eaves of the house. When crews opened the rear door they found the floor had burned through, creating a dangerous situation for firefighters.”

“No one was home at the time and the fire was fought defensively from the front and back doorways, from a basement access door, from the front eaves which provided attic access, and from a hole cut in the roof at the rear of the house,” Smith said.

Tanker assistance from Port Colborne, Haldimand and Pelham was needed for the operation, Port Colborne also provided fire crews to assist.

Crews had the fire under control after about two hours.

 

 


 

Help Erie Media stay online with a voluntary subscription


Subscription Options