Home » Archives by category » Columns » Local History Snapshot
Local History Snapshot: Welland Ship Canal Excavation 1930

Local History Snapshot: Welland Ship Canal Excavation 1930

This week’s Local History Snapshot is of¬†Welland Ship Canal excavation looking northeast in 1930 from the Welland Museum.

Local History Snapshot: Jackknife Bridge

Comments Off on Local History Snapshot: Jackknife Bridge
Local History Snapshot: Jackknife Bridge

This week’s Local History Snapshot from L.R. Wilson Heritage Research Archives features a photo taken in Port Colborne of the Jackknife Bridge construction in the 1920s when the fourth Welland Canal was being constructed.    

Continue reading …

Local History Snapshot: Michigan Central Railway Station

Comments Off on Local History Snapshot: Michigan Central Railway Station
Local History Snapshot: Michigan Central Railway Station

This week’s Local History Snapshot is from the Welland Museum. It features a photo of the¬†Michigan Central Railway Station taken in the 1920s. The station was located on King St. in Welland, just behind the Plymouth Cordage, where the present day Welland Hospital site is. People would take the train from Welland to Toronto from […]

Continue reading …

Local History Snapshot: The Commercial Hotel

Comments Off on Local History Snapshot: The Commercial Hotel
Local History Snapshot: The Commercial Hotel

This week’s Local History Snapshot from the L.R. Wilson Heritage Research Archives is an undated photo of The Commercial Hotel. It was located at the corner of Fraser and East Streets. Under various owners, the hotel served locals and travellers for about 50 years. The building was demolished along with all the buildings on East […]

Continue reading …

Local History Snapshot: Empire Cotton Mills

Comments Off on Local History Snapshot: Empire Cotton Mills
Local History Snapshot: Empire Cotton Mills

This week’s Local History Snapshot comes from the Welland Museum. It is an undated photo from the Empire Cotton Mills in Welland. Production began in the plant in September 1913. It was located between Hagar and Lincoln St., east of the Grand Trunk Railway. Woods Manufacturing Company, St. Lambert Quebec, purchased the mills in 1914. […]

Continue reading …

Local History Snapshot: Gibbons Hardware

Comments Off on Local History Snapshot: Gibbons Hardware
Local History Snapshot: Gibbons Hardware

This week’s Local History Snapshot comes from L.R. Wilson Heritage Research Archives. It is a photo of Gibbons Hardware on West St. in Port Colborne in the early 1900s. The person in the photo was identified as Julius Knoll.  

Continue reading …
Page 1 of 13123Next ›Last »