Niagara Regional Police Service press release – Since March of 2020 members of the Guns, Gangs and Grows Unit and the Opioid Unit with the Niagara Regional Police Service, have been investigating the sale of cocaine from a St. Catharines residence, in the area of Weiden Street and Linwell Road.
The investigation led detectives to identify a male suspect, leading to an arrest on Thursday, July 16/2020 with the assistance of members of the Emergency Task Unit (ETU).
As a result, detectives seized a loaded 40 caliber handgun, additional ammunition for the firearm including hollow point style bullets, powder cocaine, crack cocaine and $15,840 in currency believed to be the proceeds of his drug sales. In addition, a BMW that was a part of the drug trafficking operation was seized as offence related property. The controlled substances carry an estimated street value of $7,365.
Desron Phillips (25 years old) of St. Catharines was arrested and charged with the alleged following offences:
- Possession of a Schedule I Substance (Cocaine) for the Purpose of Trafficking
- Possession of Proceeds of Property Obtained by Crime Over $5000
- Unauthorized Possession of a Prohibited Firearm
- Possession Prohibited Firearm Knowingly Not Holding Licence
- Careless Storage of Firearm
- Careless Storage of Ammunition
- Possession of a Prohibited Firearm with Ammunition
- Possession Prohibited Device for Ammunition
- Tampering with Serial Number of a Firearm
- Breach Probation
Phillips was held in custody pending a bail hearing on Thursday.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the Niagara Regional Police at 905-688-4111 ext 2200.