Fire Chief warns residents to be careful when cooking

Acting Fire Chief Jeff McCormick

St. Catharines’ Acting Fire Chief Jeff McCormick is urging residents to be careful when cooking and to know how to protect themselves in the event of a kitchen fire after a third grease fire in less than one month again resulted in someone suffering severe burns.

“First off, kitchen fires are preventable but, even more importantly, the actions that we take in the early stages of a kitchen fire can ensure the safety of the occupants,” said the acting fire chief. “Grease fires are very dangerous but they can be contained quickly by covering the burning pot or pan with a lid and turning off the heat. Residents should never move a burning pot or attempt to put out a grease fire with water.”

Other safety measures include eliminating clutter around the stove such as dish towels and kitchen utensils. If residents are unsure about what to do in the event of a fire they should follow their home escape plan to get to safety and call 9-1-1.

St. Catharines firefighters responded to 15 Louisa St. around 5:15 p.m. on Saturday, June 2 and quickly extinguished remnants of a smoldering fire, which started to spread when the hot grease was spilled in other areas of the kitchen. One resident suffered serious burns while moving the burning grease pot to outside the home and was taken to hospital. The fire caused an estimated $1,000 in damage. The home did not have working smoke alarms.

Cooking fires are one of the leading causes of fires in Ontario and the acting fire chief reminds residents to never leave cooking unattended.

“When you put food on the stove it is absolutely not the time to check your phone, have a rest or take a shower,” said McCormick. “When you’re cooking you should be looking. Turn off the stove if you have to leave the kitchen.”

Visit for more home safety tips.

Source – City of St. Catharines press release



Help Erie Media stay online with a voluntary subscription

Subscription Options