Fire Chief discusses kitchen safety in light of recent incident

Acting Fire Chief Jeff McCormick

Staying safe at home means knowing what to do in an emergency, says Acting Fire Chief Jeff McCormick after another resident suffered serious injuries due to a cooking fire.

St. Catharines firefighters responded to reports of smoke at 515 Carlton St. Monday, July 3/2018 at around 4 p.m. The resident was cooking with grease when the pot ignited. The resident sustained third degree burns when moving the burning pot outside the home.

“Grease fires are dangerous but injuries are preventable if you are paying attention to what you’re doing and can act quickly and appropriately if something starts to get out-of-hand,” said the acting fire chief.

“You should never move a burning pot or try to put out a grease fire with water. Always have a lid at the ready. If a pot happens to catch fire you can simply cover it and switch the heat off to contain the fire quickly.”

The resident is recovering in hospital. The Office of the Ontario Fire Marshal was called in to investigate due to the seriousness of the injuries. One other occupant escaped the fire without injuries. The fire caused an estimated $1,000 in damage.

Cooking fires are a leading cause of fires in Ontario and the acting fire chief reminds residents to never leave cooking unattended. The acting fire chief adds having working smoke alarms and working carbon monoxide alarms as required by law as well as home escape plan are essential to being ready for an emergency and staying safe at home.

Visit www.stcatharines.ca/SafeAtHome for more home safety tips.

Source – City of St. Catharines press release

 


 

Help Erie Media stay online with a voluntary subscription


Subscription Options