Niagara College press release – They’ve each built successful careers in their own respective fields – a corporate chef, a filmmaker, a professor, a CEO, an athletic trainer, an entrepreneur, and a hotelier. Together, they are now among a select group of Niagara College alumni to enter the provincial spotlight as prestigious award nominees.
Niagara College has nominated seven members of its alumni community for 2019 Ontario Premier’s Awards. Presented annually by Colleges Ontario, the annual Premier’s Awards celebrate the outstanding contributions of college alumni in Ontario and throughout the world. Awards are presented in seven categories: Apprenticeship, Business, Community Services, Creative Arts and Design, Health Sciences, Recent Graduate, and Technology.
Niagara College’s 2019 Premier’s Awards nominees include:
- Apprenticeship – Todd Clarmo (Milton) corporate executive chef, Charcoal Group of Restaurants (Burlington), and graduate of NC’s Chef Apprentice program (1986);
- Business – Tim Hansing (Thailand), founder and CEO of Red Planet Hotels, and graduate of NC’s Hotel and Restaurant Administration program (1987);
- Community Services – Kevin Rempel (Toronto), founder and CEO, The Sledge Hockey Experience, and graduate of NC’s Event Management (2009) and Business Administration Marketing (2005) programs;
- Creative Arts and Design – Christopher Bessette (Niagara), writer, producer, director, New Reformation Pictures, and graduate of NC’s Broadcasting – Radio, Television and Film program (1984);
- Health Sciences – Sarah Moore, PhD (Maple Ridge, British Columbia), full-time professor, Douglas College, and graduate of NC’s Therapeutic Recreation program (2003);
- Recent Graduate – Matrixx Ferreira (Niagara) founder and CEO, Iron Performance Center, and graduate of NC’s Exercise Science program (2015); and
- Technology – Sandro Perruzza (Oakville) CEO, Ontario Society of Professional Engineers, and graduate of Environmental Management program (1995).
“We are pleased to nominate these outstanding members of our alumni community for Premier’s Awards and are immensely proud of their achievements,” said Niagara College president Dan Patterson. “Our 2019 Premier’s Award nominees are a testament to how Niagara College graduates are contributing to every sector of the economy and are making their mark in the Niagara region, across Canada, and around the world.”
Nominations were submitted from each of Ontario’s 24 community colleges, with 118 nominees overall for the 2019 awards. Nominees will be celebrated and winners will be announced at a gala event on Monday, Dec. 2/2019, as part of the Colleges Ontario Higher Education Summit in Toronto.
Over the years, several Niagara College alumni have been recognized with Premier’s Awards, including:
- 2014 winner Royal Canadian Navy Capt. Rebecca Patterson (Nursing grad, 1987);
- 2012 winner David Pratt (Greenhouse Technician grad, 2007);
- 2011 winner Jerry Howell (Computer Engineering Technology grad, 1988);
- 2008 winner Jordan Harris (Winery and Viticulture Technician grad, 2004);
- 2003 winner Heather Kilty (Social Welfare Worker grad, 1969); and
- 1995 winner Carol Alaimo (Journalism-Print grad, 1984).
For information about the Premier’s Awards and 2019 nominees, visit https://www.co-awards.org/