The word “superfood” gets tossed around a lot these days, but when it comes to helping with arthritis, avocados may actually fit the bill. Research shows they have anti-inflammatory benefits similar to olive oil.
Enjoy their taste and health benefits with this easy recipe from dietitians at the Arthritis Society. This recipe can be a very satisfying breakfast that keeps you full until lunchtime. Try it with a slice of whole-grain (and, if necessary, gluten-free) toast and kalamata olives.
Baked Avocado and Feta Eggs
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15-20 minutes
Serves: 4 (half avocado and one egg per serving)
- 2 avocados (large work best)
- 4 eggs
- 1-2 green onions, chopped
- 4 tbsp feta cheese, shredded (can be purchased pre-shredded)
- Paprika, dried basil, salt and pepper, sprinkled to taste
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh parsley
- Preheat over to 425°F (218°C).
- Cut each avocado in half and remove pit. Fill each half with an egg. It might be easier to pour the egg into a bowl first, then into the avocado.
- Add green onions, paprika, salt, pepper and basil to taste, then drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, depending on how firm you like your egg yolks.
- Sprinkle feta cheese over each egg, then top with parsley and serve immediately.
Nutritional information (per serving): Calories: 271; total fat 24g; saturated fat 5g; monounsaturated fat 12g; carbohydrates 7g; fibre 6g; sodium 154mg.
Find more arthritis-friendly recipes at arthritis.ca.
Source – www.newscanada.com