Smoke alarm saves life in Port Colborne fire

Port Colborne firefigthers battled a blaze at a residence on Bell St. early Sunday morning. The home’s one resident escaped without injury. Photo by Joseph Burd

A working smoke alarm has saved the life of a Port Colborne resident who escaped the fire that consumed his Bell St. residence in the early morning of Sunday Apr. 7/2019.

A press release from the City of Port Colborne said that fire was coming out of the first and second floor windows when the Port Colborne Fire and Emergency Services arrived on scene around 2 a.m.

“The only tenant that was in the home was able to escape out the front door, uninjured, because the working smoke alarm notified them in time,” the release said.

“This morning’s fire is a reminder to all residents that working smoke alarms do save lives,” said Port Colborne’s Fire Chief Tom Cartwright in the release.

The fire at 91 Bell St. is still under investigation. Estimated damage is $200,000. Additionally the house next door suffered about $20,000 damage due to heat melting the siding.

 

 


 

Help Erie Media stay online with a voluntary subscription


Subscription Options