Wainfleet hit by three fires in four days

The Wainfleet Fire Chief warns residents to be cautious after the department has dealt with three fires over four days this week.

“Residents are reminded to ensure they have sufficient smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors installed and working,” Fire Chief Lee Smith, Township of Wainfleet, said in a release to the media.  “Also ensure that portable heaters are plugged directly into outlets and monitored as they draw more current and can overheat temporary wiring.”

On Tuesday Dec. 26/2017 an unoccupied two storey house and contents were destroyed by fire at 52257 Misener Rd. in Wainfleet.

“Although the majority of the building structure and contents were destroyed, all other evidence indicated that the fire was accidental in origin,” Smith said.

The building was taken down in the morning Dec. 27 to facilitate completion of an overhaul.

On Thursday Dec. 28/2017 the fire department was at an early morning fully involved structure fire at a Moore Rd. residence.

“There was a lone occupant who awoke to the fire and was examined by EMS in scene and released,” Smith said in the release.

“A physical examination of the scene was not possible due to the degree of fire damage and the structure was taken down later in the day to facilitate overhaul,” he said. “This fire was likely the result of combustibles too close to a heater or electrical in nature.”

On Friday Dec. 29/2017, the fire department responded to 43045 Highway 3 in early afternoon for a reported structure fire.

“The fire was contained to an attached sunroom that burned into the ceiling structure threatening the main portion of the house,” Smith said.  “Fire crews employed a fast attack on the fire and brought it under control quite quickly. The fire was the result of a overheated electrical wiring that was feeding a space heater.”

“There were two occupants at home at the time of the fire who escaped unharmed,” he said.

For all three fires mutual aid was called in from Port Colborne, Haldimand and Pelham.

“These past few days have strained our firefighting crews in Wainfleet and our mutual aid partners, both in the number of back to back fires and also the extreme weather conditions we faced,” said Fire Chief Lee Smith.  “We remained safety conscious in these difficult work environments and no responder injuries were reported. This achievement was made possible due to responders commitment to health and safety and the assistance from our mutual aid partners, police, EMS and Township staff.”



Help Erie Media stay online with a voluntary subscription

Subscription Options