Working Smoke Alarms Save Port Colborne Resident

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Port Colborne Fire and Emergency Services responded to smoke in a building at approximately 4:15am on November 9, 2017. Upon arrival, smoke had travelled throughout the home and if not for the working smoke alarms that notified the resident of the emergency; we were set for another tragedy.

To add to the significance of this event, Port Colborne Fire and Emergency Services staff had previously completed a smoke alarm check of the property justifying to myself, that our Smoke Alarm Program works.

Working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms save lives and this fire call marks the second event in just over a week in our City where an alarm notified people of an emergency. Please ensure your alarms are working and if unsure, contact your Fire Department for assistance.

With the cooler weather upon us, I would like to remind everyone to keep combustibles clear of any portable heaters.

Other safety measures when using portable heaters in the home include:

• Make sure your space heater has the label showing that it is listed by a recognized testing laboratory (ULC and CSA approved).

• Plug space heaters directly into a wall outlet. Do not use an extension cord or power strip, which could overheat and result in a fire.

• Place space heaters on level, flat surfaces. Never place heaters on cabinets, tables, furniture or carpet, which can overheat and start a fire.

• Proper placement of space heaters is critical. Heaters must be kept at least three feet from anything that can burn.

• Never leave a space heater unattended. Turn it off when you are leaving a room or going to sleep, and don’t let pets or children play to close to a space heater.

Our Fire Service, in partnership with you, will continue to make an effort in keeping our City fire safe.

Please do not hesitate to contact us. Call 905-834-4512 and arrange for a fire safety visit today!

We need you to help us succeed “Never Think It Can’t Happen To You” – Fire Kills

Thomas B. Cartwright, City Fire Cheif



Help Erie Media stay online with a voluntary subscription

Subscription Options